BCREA has launched Radon for REALTORS®, a new self-paced, online course worth three accredited PDP hours, in which Realtors explore radon – the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers – and how it relates to the real estate transaction.
With its health risks and inclusion in the Property Disclosure Statement, radon is as pressing an issue as ever. As a Realtor, you are expected to demonstrate competency and apply reasonable care and skill when providing real estate services to your clients, which includes being knowledgeable about environmental conditions and taking the appropriate steps to alert clients of known health or environmental concerns. Learning more about this invisible, odourless gas can help ensure you are taking the right steps for your clients.
(REALTOR® Link log in required)
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- understand where radon comes from;
- identify how radon enters a dwelling;
- know what influences radon levels;
- locate areas in Canada and in BC with higher exposure to radon;
- recognize the effects of radon on human health;
- understand Canada’s radon awareness initiatives;
- identify applicable laws and emergent policies on radon in BC;
- grasp radon matters in real estate transactions;
- identify the role of Realtors around radon;
- understand how a home can be tested for radon; and
- share information on radon mitigation techniques with clients.
Although the primary goal of this course is to provide the radon knowledge Realtors need to support and guide clients through a real estate transaction, the information presented can also add value for the health and safety of clients and Realtors alike.
Learners will earn three accredited PDP hours upon completion of the course. Register here.
The creation of this course was made possible with funding from the Real Estate Foundation of British Columbia.
To subscribe to receive BCREA publications such as this one, or to update your email address or current subscriptions, click here.