The Canucks now have three people positive for COVID-19.
Wednesday night’s Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames game at Rogers Arena has been postponed after another Canucks player and a member of the coaching staff returned positive test for COVID-19.
This comes two days after Canucks forward Adam Gaudette tested a positive for the novel coronavirus. That test result was delivered Tuesday while he was already on the ice with his teammates for practice.
The identities of the new positives are not known at this time.
“The National Hockey League announced today that, as a result of two Vancouver Canucks Players (including one Player who was added to the COVID Protocol List after it was released at 5:00 p.m. ET today) as well as a member of their coaching staff entering the NHL’s COVID Protocols, the team’s game tonight against the Calgary Flames will be postponed. The decision was made by the League’s, NHLPA’s and Club’s medical groups. The League will provide a further update tomorrow,” the NHL said in a statement shortly after 6 p.m. The game was originally slated to start at 7:30 p.m.
Unlike Gaudette’s result, which came roughly 24 hours after the test was taken, Wednesday’s additional positives were from tests taken in the morning, roughly eight hours earlier. The team paid to have the tests process expedited.
This is the fifth game involving a Canadian team postponed this season because of COVID-19 protocols; the Montreal Canadiens had four games postponed earlier this month after Joel Armia tested positive for a COVID-19 variant. It’s not yet known if the Canucks will face further postponements but they are slated to head out on a seven-game, 12-day road trip beginning Saturday in Edmonton.
The crew from Calgary will stay overnight on the West Coast, as was the initial plan, and will travel Thursday to Edmonton, where they’re slated to face the Oilers on Friday.
Earlier on Wednesday, Canucks head coach Travis Green wouldn’t say if Gaudette’s case was a variant and added that Tuesday’s tests hadn’t returned any further positives, so the team was preparing to play the game as usual.
“We’ve been following NHL protocol and getting ready to play a game tonight,” he said. “Obviously yesterday when you get the news, you’re always wondering about it. Last night we had a pretty good idea that we’re good to go this morning.”
“If something changes I’m sure players will be the first to know and the media will be the next to know,” he added, when asked about the possibility that things could change between then and game time.
This is the second time this season Canucks players have landed on the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol list. Jordie Benn was a presumed positive before the season’s start and was out for 14 days as a result, though he said after returning to action that he never suffered any symptoms.
J.T. Miller was also on the COVID-19 list for a week because he was deemed a close contact of Benn’s. He missed the season’s first three games as a result.
A number of games in the United States were postponed earlier this season, because of outbreaks on American clubs.